Eye twitching, also known as Myokymia is rapid blinking of the eye without a time pause. It is also called eyelid twitching. However, eye twitching once in a while is not harmful but causes inconvenience and discomfort to your body.
Let’s dive deep into the details and understand more about eye twitching.
Symptoms of eye twitching
Symptoms of eye twitching are clearly visible. It includes dry eyes, and facial spasms, eyes becoming more sensitive to lights, itchiness in the eyes, and blinking continuously. Eye twitching can last from a few minutes to a few hours.
Causes of eye twitching
Here are some of the popular yet common reasons to identify the symptoms of eye twitching-
Eye twitching can be caused due to various reasons. Some of them are as follows:
- Consumption of either too much caffeine or too much alcohol
- Irregular sleep cycle or tiredness
- Too much stress
- Side effects due to medications
- Light sensitivity
- Too much screen time that can lead to eye muscle strain
- Lack of a balanced diet
- Allergies to any element
Treatment for eye twitching
Here are some of the immediate remedies to cure your discomfort of eye twitching-
- Keep tabs on caffeine consumption in a day.
- Manage and regularize your sleep cycle.
- Take measures to manage your stress efficiently.
- Take heat or cold therapy, whichever suits and relieve your body.
- Wear sunglasses outside the house to protect eyes from pollution.
- Whenever needed use eye drops to hydrate them.
- If you are using a computer/laptop for long hours, then follow this rule – In every 20 minutes, look at 20 feet distance for 20 seconds only. Don’t overstress your eyes.
If the above mentioned remedies are also not successful in stopping your eye twitching actions, then you need to visit a doctor. Here are some of the treatments you will be suggested-
- First step in any treatment is to cure the problem with medicines. Doctor will advise you some oral medications to relax your body muscles. As soon as the body is fully relaxed, twitching will also stop.
- In case medications are not as effective, then Botox injections are given. This injection results in weakening of twitching muscles, which leads to relaxation. Its results are effective for 3 months. You can also continue after 3 months if you are not completely relieved.
- Next treatment is Myectomy, in which a part of the muscle is removed from the nearby area of eyelids.
- Acupuncture technique, Chiropractic, and Nutrition therapy is also used to relax the body muscles
Eye twitching is not harmful for the eyes. With a little precaution and after-care, your eyes can be absolutely in perfect condition. Should you need professional help, you can visit Pushpagiri Eye Hospital, one the best eye hospitals in Hyderabad.